Thursday, April 3, 2008

This is my Dad

... and it's his birthday today. His 73rd. We had a small at-home celebration during lunch today, the three of us- me, my Mom and Dad. We had tuyok manok (chicken barbeque), breaded shrimp with tartar sauce (my favorite, from Imay's) and for dessert, a Concorde cake from Ana Maria.

My Dad is an amazing man. Not all daughters can say that about their fathers so I'm really, really blessed. He's funny, smart and strong. There's a steeliness about him that tells people he's not to be messed around with, but inside him lurks a gentle soul that never turns down a relative or friend in need.

When I need solid advice, I turn to him. When I need to let go, I can weep on his shoulder. When I need a laugh, I can count on him to goof around.


He's passed on to me the love for reading and writing, the thirst to know more about the world around me and the belief that I can do anything I want to do and I can achieve them if only I believe in myself.

He is so much more than just the man who fed me and raised me. He is the man upon whom I measure myself. I don't mean to wax emotional here, but it's just hard not to when I'm talking about the person whose life revolves around making me and my Mom happy. He's a hero, in that way, that he always puts my Mom and me before him. In return, I always do what makes him happy. Well, I try to, although he may refute that! :-)

I can only thank God for blessing me with wonderful parents, although there are times when we get on each other's nerves. But hey, all families have drama. Mine does, all the time. There may be just three of us in this family, but believe me, our family arguments can be quite explosive. It's my Dad who is the voice of reason in this family.

Dad, happy birthday! We love you todo-todo!



0 comments:

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP