Wednesday, April 2, 2008

How we spent Black Saturday

I got tons of stuff that I'd like to write about here, but I also got even more tons of more important stuff to do and blogging right now isn't what I should be doing. But I want to be done with this tonight since I don't know if I'll have the chance to post these photos here later this week. I'm looking at my organizer and I'll be swamped with work later on, so I better get this over with right now.

As promised earlier, I'm putting up some of the photos I took on the day before Easter Sunday, or Black Saturday, or Sabado de Gloria for the Catholics. WARNING: pixel heavy!


It was a clear, beautiful day when we stepped out of the house to begin our walk around the city.

These streets, on any other day, would have been crowded with motorcyles and cars, either parked or speeding along.

My Dad, beneath the ONLY overpass in the city, located in front of Silliman University High School (my former school).

He specifically asked for a photo with the 1-km marker. Don't see what's so special about it though!

The daughter of my Dad's eye doctor (and a good family friend) Dr. Florencita Jordan passed the Nursing Board Exam this year. That's her name on no. 141 on the list of nursing board exam passers of Silliman University. Good work, Janice! (By the way, she also finished Cum Laude).

Signs, signs, signs everywhere!

Silliman proudly waves its colors (don't you just love flags waving along the streets? Something very festive about it).

Stopped by Jollibee's for a hearty breakfast of longganisa, sunny side up and rice with coffee. We needed the fuel for the long walk up ahead of us.

A cuuuuute dog parked by his owner in front of Jollibee's. (I know, he's far from cute but I adore big dogs). I don't think any vehicle would be parking anywhere near him :-) The sight of him is enough for even the city's most erring drivers to follow the street sign.

A couple of street kids (Badjaos) waiting outside the fastfood. I bought three tuna pies so I can give it to them later when we leave Jollibee's. But by the time we were done, they were nowhere in sight. My Mom ended up giving a pie to an old lady who was waiting outside the door begging for food. Sigh.

My Mom waving her latest "find": a 20-peso bill on the street. This always happens to her. Later in the day, she found a dime beside the road. Probably because she's always looking down when she walks :-)

Amen! I couldn't agree more :-)

Beautiful view of the mountains.

Uhmmm... not so beautiful view this one. The result of a small city getting more and more crowded as the years go by.

I asked, and found out that the circle around his eye was drawn. But still, cute isn't he? He lives near where I work and I have seen him cross the street many times, even at the height of rush hour.

Passed by Daro, the "clay town" area in the city. It's like clay heaven over there.

Stopped by at the rummage sales (not sure if this is the right term for what we locally call as ukay-ukay). My Mom walked away with a kilo of white lace curtains for much less than what the sign says.

Anyone care for some caprE pants??

You could be on camera! (A sign painted on the gate of a house we passed by).

After almost 5 hours of walking, time for Coke zero at Jo's by the Sea Restaurant in Sibulan.

Jo's is a restaurant along the beach that's popular for their chicken bbq (really juicy and tasty). That's quite a unique concept they have- turned bangkas (boats) into chairs. So cute!

Plus look at their interior design. Exotic, warm and inviting- the kind of atmosphere that wood and bamboo can exude. I especially love those hanging lights encased in basket cases.

I heart the Philippines, but not the bottled water. Plastic destroys the environment, people!

This is the view you get while munching on tasty chickens. Even if the food turns out to be crappy (which wasn't), the view will make you want to keep coming back.

More of the beautiful view.

This is how Pinoys beat the cruel summer heat- buko halo-halo (mixture of shaved ice, milk, sweet beans and fruit bits put inside a coconut). Yummy, but I didn't have any (forgot to bring my lactaids!)

Facing the restaurant is this giant-sized statue of Mary built by the owner of the same restaurant, reportedly after she was healed by a vision (she purportedly saw Mary in a dream).

Entrance to Jo's By The Sea in Sibulan.

0 comments:

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP