Thursday, May 8, 2008

Review: Back to Black

This album turned out to be a pleasant surprise for me. I wasn't expecting to actually end up liking her songs, but Amy Winehouse's Back to Black album, in a word, rocks.

Let me clarify that I haven't heard any of Amy Winehouse's songs before, but of her reputation, that I know of as it is quite hard not to when her 'antics' (which is quite a lame word to describe what she's been up to) is all over the TV and Internet.

She's been described as a soul singer but I didn't know how a darn good one she is until my favorite Filipina international singer Lea Salonga did a review of her Back to Black album on her blog over at Multiply (Ms. Lea is not only a great singer, she also writes really well. Go to her blog to find out for yourself).

So when Ms. Lea said "fantastic album!" I went ahead and searched for the album. I mean, it's Lea Salonga! If she says it's fantastic, you don't hit pause and say "Uhmm...are you sure?" No. You take her word for it, period.

Man, was she so right. All the songs in Back to Black are awesome. Freaking awesome. From "Rehab" to "Addicted", I'm floored. After all, the album got six Grammy Award nominations and five wins. This girl's personal life might be troubled, but her songs bear no traces whatsoever of this.

When I typed to my friend Chris the lyrics from the song Rehab: "They're trying to make me go to rehab, but I said no, no, no", he typed back : "Well, yeah, look where it got her." Haha!

PS to Chrissie: You gotta read this. She played Bioshock! And what's more, she loved it! Ahh, a girl after my own heart. Another reason why I MUST play this game!

0 comments:

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP